Executive Council (2014-)
- President: Keith R. Peterson (Colby College)
- Vice-President: Frederic Tremblay (Institut Jean Nicod, Paris)
- Treasurer: Carlo Scognamiglio (La Sapienza University of Rome)
Advisory Board (Scientific Committee)
- Predrag Cicovacki (Holy Cross)
- Joachim Fischer (Dresden University)
- Eugene Kelly (New York Institute of Technology)
- Andreas Kinneging (Leiden University)
- Roberto Poli (University of Trento)
Statutes of the Nicolai Hartmann Society
Article I. Name
The name of the organization shall be the “Nicolai Hartmann Society.” (NHS)
Article II. Definition
The Nicolai Hartmann Society is an international civil society organization (also called non-governmental organization), the members of which join together in virtue of a common interest in the philosophy of Nicolai Hartmann.
Article III. Purpose
The purpose of the Nicolai Hartmann Society is to promote and foster the study of the philosophy of Nicolai Hartmann, its place in the history of philosophy, and its relevance for contemporary issues and fields of knowledge.
The official language of the Society is English.
Article IV. Membership and structure
Membership of the Society must be approved by the Executive Council, and shall continue as long as the member pays dues as determined in Article IX. The Society’s structure shall be sub-divided as follows:
- The General Assembly of the Members of the Society.
- The Advisory Board (4 or more members).
- The Executive Council (3 members).
Article V. Officers
The Society will have a President, a Vice-President, a Treasurer (with secretarial functions). This group shall be known as the Executive Council. The Executive Council shall meet at such times and places as it may determine or at special meetings called by the president. The Executive Council shall manage the webpage and every organizational aspect of the Society’s activities. The Executive Council may conduct its business by e-mail. All communications directly pertaining to the Society and its business shall be conducted via the Nicolai Hartmann Society email account. lmportant messagess should be sent in cc or bcc to the other board members in order for them to be kept informed of the NHS-related activities of the other board members.
Article VI. Elections
- Every member of the Executive Council shall be elected every four years.
- No president shall fill three terms in succession. Should vacancies occur, the Executive Council shall appoint replacements until the next election.
- Elections may be conducted in a public Assembly of the members, while executive decisions may be communicated by e-mail.
- Every member of the Society can vote for the Executive Council so long as he/she pays dues as determined in the Article IX.
- The admission of new members into the Advisory Board shall be approved by the current Advisory Board, by majority voting.
- Every membership to the Advisory Board can be revoked by the Executive Council.
- Every membership to the Executive Council can be revoked by the General Assembly of the members of the Society.
Article VII. The General Assembly
The General Assembly of the members of the Society can elect the members of the Executive Council and revoke its members. The Assembly can also modify the Statutes of the Society. The approval of every decision requires the presence of a majority of members. The General Assembly is convened every three years. The General assembly decides the Association’s general orientation.
Article VIII. Duties of Officers
- The president shall take on control and coordination functions in all scientific activities of the Society. He/she represents the Society and shall preside at all plenary sessions of the society and at all meetings of the Executive Council.
- The treasurer shall have general charge of the business of the society. The treasurer shall receive donations and dues and disburse the society’s funds, acting on behalf of the Executive Council. He/she shall keep a written record of receipts and expenditures, and provide a report at the meetings of the General Assembly.
- The vice-president shall be vested with all the powers and perform all the duties of the president in case of the absence or disability of the president and may be assigned other duties by the Executive Council or by the president.
- The Advisory Board shall advise on all questions concerning the Society, whether asked by the executive board or not.
Article IX. Dues
The annual dues shall be twenty euros, normally to be paid on January first, and covering the year following that date. Dues for students shall be ten euros. The legitimate use of the membership dues include: conference organization and website management. The Society may receive donations. The collection and disbursement of funds in connection with the financing of any activity sponsored in whole or in part by the Society shall be handled by the Executive Council, and applications for grants to finance any activity sponsored in whole or in part by the Society shall bear the signature of the President (except where the Vice-President is acting in his/her place, as in the case of serious illness).